Sunday 15 January 2012

Rubens as Street Art

Wandering around Farringdon Station in London, as I am wont to do, I was stunned to see a Rubens hanging on the outside wall of a building facing a car park! It certainly caught my eye, which is exactly what the company who put it there intended: The Partners, an award-winning "branding agency". Oh no, I've been taken in by advertising!

Probably to the dismay of companies wanting my business, I assiduously avoid reading advertisements in print, on screen, on billboards. But I am a hunter-gatherer by nature: I shop to see what's available and where everything can be got if needed. The H&G mantra: know your resources.

So, because the Rubens (his painting of Samson & Delilah) wasn't direct advertising, it got my curiosity up and I investigated. This painting was one of many placed around town during the Grand Tour set up by The Partners. It is part of "a collection of priceless paintings from the National Gallery set free around the streets of Britain. Originally on show in London for 12 weeks in 2007, it is now touring other British cities" says the signboard.

Undoubtedly, this was not the real painting from the National Gallery but a copy. Nevertheless, it was an interesting idea for bringing art to the public. And of course, interesting ideas are the mainstay of The Partners advertising business. The building shown happens to be the Smithfield branch of The Partners, in Albion Courtyard. Unfortunately, there was no indication where other paintings might be located. Have you seen one in your city?

No comments: