Thursday 5 January 2012

Lasagne in England & America


English-style lasagne: it might as well be tomato soup!
Why is it that restaurant (Italian or otherwise) lasagne is always soupy? I ordered some recently in an Italian restaurant, hoping that I would get real Italian lasagne, which would stand up instead of swim...I could hardly even find any pasta in this one.




So for comparison, I made lasagne with my mother's recipe (who is Swedish, not Italian), and presto! It stands up all by itself on a plate! It has two layers of pasta, but next time I will make it with three layers. A cinch these days using pasta that doesn't need pre-cooking. 
American-style Italian lasagne that has character and posture

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one all the way! I can't recall if I've eaten lasagne in Italy; I wonder what the common style is there, or if there is regional variation?

gleeb said...

We have since checked this out with three Italian friends here in England, and they all say that Italian lasagne stands up on the plate...